Milwaukee Art Museum
Three artist-led panels, which will also include educators, scholars, and students, will explore the role of the arts in advancing criminal justice reform efforts. Presentations will highlight national models for in-prison programs, diversion programs, and awareness efforts that are designed and implemented by artists or art educators. An evening reception for all registered participants will follow.
Event is free, but pre-registration is encouraged.
Livestream the event here.
Schedule of Events
- 9:30–10:00 AM Check-in/Registration
- 10:00 AM Marcelle Polednik, PhD, Donna and Donald Baumgartner Director
- 10:15–11:45 AM No Humans Involved: Structures and Systems
- Sable Elyse Smith, artist
- Simone Browne, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of African and African Diaspora Studies, University of Texas at Austin
- Moderated by Sampada Aranke, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Art History, Theory, and Criticism, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- 11:45 AM–2:00 PM Break
- 2:00–4:00 PM Inside Out: Collaboration and Narrative
- Artist Nigel Poor in conversation with Jody Lewen, Executive Director of the Prison University Project, and Michael Nelson, former Prison University Project student and co-founder of Kid C.A.T.
- Maria Gaspar, Assistant Professor, School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- Mark Strandquist, cultural organizer
- Moderated by Lisa Sutcliffe, Herzfeld Curator of Photography and Media Arts, Milwaukee Art Museum
- 4:00–4:15 PM Break
- 4:15–5:30 PM Humans Involved: Rehabilitation and Re-entry
- Devon Simmons, Global Ambassador for Education; graduate of John Jay College of Criminal Justice’s Prison to College Pipeline program
- Michelle Jones, Chair, Board of Advisors, Constructing Our Future
- Ashley Lucas, Associate Professor and Director of the Prison Creative Arts Project, University of Michigan
- 5:30 PM Closing Remarks – with co-organizers Emilia Layden, Curator of Collections and Exhibitions, Haggerty Museum of Art, and Lisa Sutcliffe, Herzfeld Curator of Photography and Media Arts, Milwaukee Art Museum
- 5:45–8:00 PM Welcome Reception
- Windhover Hall
- Open to all participants and attendees