A Landscape Rediscovered
September 7, 2018–February 17, 2019
European Art Galleries, Level 2, Gallery S202
The Annual Layton Art Collection Focus Exhibition
The Museum houses over thirty thousand works of art; behind the scenes, staff care for and continue to research all the works that reside within its walls. In focus here is a painting that was ascribed to the great English landscape painter John Constable (1776–1837) when it entered the Layton Art Collection, in 1941. Recent conservation on the painting has brought this attribution into question.
Listen to the Constable?
Follow along with the twists and turns in uncovering the mysteries of this work of art in a three-episode podcast produced by House of Who. All 3 episodes are available now on iTunes, Spotify, and SoundCloud.
Programs + Events
Thursday, September 27, 10 AM
Be among the first to see the hundreds of objects in Serious Play: Design in Midcentury America. Enjoy exclusive tours of Family Pictures, and check out how a decades-long mystery was solved in Constable? A Landscape Rediscovered.
- Member-only access to Serious Play
- Curator-led Gallery Talks:
- 11 a.m., 5:30 p.m. Constable? A Landscape Rediscovered
- 3 p.m. Family Pictures, Herzfeld Curator of Photography and Media Arts Lisa Sutcliffe in conversation with the Brooklyn Museum's Phillip Leonian and Edith Rosenbaum Leonian Curator of Photography Drew Sawyer
- 1:30 p.m. lecture, Serious Play with Monica Obniski, Demmer Curator of 20th-& 21st-Century Design
- 5 p.m. Celebration with appetizers, cash bar and live music
- 6:15 p.m. lecture, Serious Play with Darrin Alfred, Denver Art Museum
Lectures are ticketed. Tickets are available on a first-come, first served basis from Admissions starting at 10 a.m.
Join as a Member today!
- Artworks / NEA
- Brady Corporation Foundation
- Herman Miller Cares
- In Memory of L. William (Bill) Teweles
- Melinda and Ken Krei
- Terri and Verne Holoubek Family Foundation
- Milwaukee Art Museum’s African American Art Alliance
- Herzfeld Foundation and Madeleine and David Lubar
- Layton Art Collection Inc.
Tuesday, November 13, 12:30 PM