Building a Masterpiece: Santiago Calatrava and the Milwaukee Art Museum
It has been named the sexiest building in the world, featured in TV ads and shows and Hollywood movies, and it has transformed the city of Milwaukee. In September, the Milwaukee Art Museum celebrates the 10th anniversary of its iconic building, the Quadracci Pavilion, with the exhibition Building a Masterpiece: Santiago Calatrava and the Milwaukee Art Museum.
Designed by internationally renowned architect Santiago Calatrava, the Quadracci Pavilion was the Spaniard’s first completed commission in the United States. In 2001, it was named Time Magazine’s “Best Design of 2001.”
The exhibition will highlight the construction of the entirely custom-made project, a testament to Milwaukee’s tradition of precision manufacturing and craftsmanship. Watercolors, models, and photographs will trace the evolution of the design, including the architectural wonder of the Burke Brise Soleil, perched high above the Quadracci Pavilion.
Building a Masterpiece Photo Contest
Submit your photograph to the Milwaukee Art Museum for possible inclusion in the upcoming exhibition that celebrates the 10th anniversary of the Quadracci Pavilion! Designed by world-famous architect Santiago Calatrava, the 2001 addition to the Milwaukee Art Museum was the Spaniard’s first commission in the United States. To honor ten years with this visionary structure, the Museum is presenting the exhibition Building a Masterpiece: Santiago Calatrava and the Milwaukee Art Museum and inviting visitors to submit their personal photographs of the Calatrava-designed addition, demonstrating how significantly the building has brought a sense of pride in, as well as international attention, to Milwaukee.
You must be ages 18 or older to participate. Winning entries will be showcased during the exhibition at the Milwaukee Art Museum.
The entry deadline is December 1, 2011. Ten finalists will be chosen from a panel of judges. The finalists will be announced on Facebook, Twitter, and the Milwaukee Art Museum: Calatrava’s Quadracci Pavilion Flickr group.
Our judging panel will then choose first, second, and third place winners. In addition, members of the community will be able to vote for the “people’s choice award” by “liking” the images on Facebook. All winners will be announced at a future MAM After Dark at the Milwaukee Art Museum.
- 1st Place: Canon SD95 camera
- 2nd Place: One-Year Family Milwaukee Art Museum Membership
- 3rd Place: 4 admission tickets
- Photos will be judged on quality of the image taken, presentation, and the unique perspective of the photograph
- Photos are limited to the interior and exterior of the Quadracci Pavilion
- Photos are limited to 12 images per contestant
- Entrants must be 18 or older
- Upload your image to the Milwaukee Art Museum: Calatrava’s Quadracci Pavilion Flickr group
- Please do not include any copyrighted material in your submission. Any entries found to contain copyrighted material will be removed. Show us how this unique architectural addition to the Milwaukee Art Museum inspires you.
- Please do not put your name or logo on the actual image.
- If you’d like to comment on the submissions, please be respectful and constructive.
All contest rules and information subject to change. All entrants must agree that their flickr member name and images can be displayed and used for Milwaukee Art Museum marketing and promotion without charge or copyright infringement, and that the images they upload are acceptable for public view. Photos added to this group may also be displayed on mam.org and associated Milwaukee Art Museum websites and within the galleries, with credit given to the flickr member. Employees of the Milwaukee Art Museum are not eligible. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook to cast your vote for your favorite photograph!