The 2014 Scholastic Art Awards:
Schroeder Galleria + Pieper Gallery
Each year students in grades 7–12 compete to have their artwork recognized in the Scholastic Art Awards—and placed on view in the Museum. A jury of artists, art professionals, and teachers review the nearly two thousand entries to select those works that will be honored. Artwork is submitted in the categories of Architecture, Ceramics and Glass, Comic Art, Computer Art, Drawing, Fashion, Film and Animation, Graphic Design, Jewelry, Mixed Media, Painting, Photography, Printmaking, Product Design, and Sculpture. In this year’s Scholastic Art Awards: Wisconsin Exhibition, more than 375 artworks will be on view and will once again delight visitors with the talent of the area’s youth.
Students whose artwork has earned an award are recognized in awards ceremonies at the Museum. The Silver Key is a statewide award; artworks receiving a Gold Key Award go on to compete for Silver and Gold Medals at the national level, with entries from more than seventy-five other competitions throughout the United States.
The Scholastic Art Awards program has been acknowledging excellence in the visual arts and encouraging the artistic endeavors of young people throughout the United States for over eighty-five years. Many award winners go on to achieve distinction in the fields of fine and applied arts and design and credit the early recognition they received as participants in the Scholastic Art Awards.
Gallery TalksSaturday, Feb 15, 1:30 pm
Sunday, March 9, 1:30 pm
With award winning students, teachers and exhibition coordinator Helena Ehlke
Meet at South End of Schroeder West Galleria
Free for Members (or with Museum admission for non-members)
Looking for more images from previous Scholastic Art Awards: Wisconsin exhibits?View on Flickr »
- Isabella Kugel, Furtive Glance, 2013 Gold Key Award in Drawing. Age 14, Wauwatosa East HS, Barbara Murray Instructor.
- Lorenzo Ramirez, Bear, 2013 Silver Key Award in Sculpture. Age 16, Rufus King HS, Milwaukee, Thomas Haslett, Instructor.
- Karen Fischberg, Satin Jar, 2013 Gold Key Award in Drawing. Age 17, Kettle Moraine HS, Wales, Bill Barder, Instructor.
- Brandon Poll, Water Fountain, 2013 Gold Key in Drawing. Age 14, Nicolet HS, Glendale, Becky Schmidt, Instructor.
- Grace Siler, What Are We Doing In Here?, 2013 Silver Key Award in Drawing. Age 14, The Prairie School, Racine, Catherine McCombs, Instructor.