2016: Live Your Passion
Fri, Jan 15, 8 PM–MIDNIGHT
Celebrate the new year with festive revelers, activities, and adornments, in the spirit of Rio Carnival! Salsa, cha-cha, and more with Milwaukee’s own Salsabrosa Dance Company—they’ll show you how!—while enjoying the Afro-Cuban and Latin jazz sounds of De La Buena and 88Nine Radio Milwaukee’s own Marcus Doucette.
- Visit the “Olympic Games Area” in the Museum’s new East End, and challenge your friends to a game of Wii Sports or live table tennis, courtesy of Evolution Milwaukee.
- Feast on Brazilian-themed fare created by Café Calatrava.
- Indulge in savory samples from Rodizio Grill: The Brazilian Steakhouse, BelAir Cantina and The Brass Alley.
- Enjoy the colorful and complex creations of this month’s 414 Artist John Kowalczyk.
- Travel from Rio to New Orleans at the official MAM After Dark after-party, with exclusive drink discounts at The Brass Alley.
Larry Sultan: Here and Home
October 23, 2015–January 24, 2016
“One of photography’s shrewdest observers of American life.”—Wall Street Journal
Larry Sultan: Here and Home is the first retrospective of celebrated California photographer Larry Sultan (1946–2009). The exhibition explores Sultan’s thirty-five-year career, from his early conceptual and collaborative projects of the 1970s to his solo, documentary-style photographs. One of the most influential photographers of his generation, Larry Sultan explored ideas of home, family, belonging, façade, and storytelling in evocative pictures that challenged photographic conventions. Larry Sultan: Here and Home features more than two hundred photographs, a billboard, film, and “Study Hall,” a room offering a unique lens into Sultan’s exploratory process both as an artist and a teacher.
The exhibition is organized by the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
Presenting sponsor: Madeleine & David Lubar
Additional support from: David C. & Sarajean Ruttenberg Arts Foundation